Monday 18 October 2010

Homes and gardens - Halloween special

So I promised you Halloween decoration pictures, and now I shall deliver. But first an apology; it's a little hard to get good close up pictures of Halloween decorations on houses without looking like some kind of paparazzo, furtively pulling up in a car, winding down the window and getting a snap in before hurriedly pulling off. Not being the owner of a long lens camera, my efforts are taken from rather a distance (and disappointingly I had to leave out the one of the house with a huge spider above the door, because it just didn't show up...). I'll be back though - I definitely want to get some of the Christmas displays this year....

First picture - this was one of the more attractive Halloween displays I saw on my travels today. Note the array of pumpkins, gourds and squash, the beautifully thought-out fake spider webs, and the high quality gravestone (by the tree). It's no surprise that this house is in a particularly posh area, and I would not be surprised if some kind of exterior designer might have been involved....



House number two had made the most of their shrub-lined stairway with another good display of fake spider-webbery. In fact, most of the houses on this (again rather grand) street had some degree of spider-web action going on, so I wondered if it was becoming something of a competitive sport. If you look closely, you might spot a ghost in the hedge too.



And finally for today. Littleboy 2's 'pumpkin snowman'. He was so pleased when he spotted this one on a drive around town that I had to go back and find it again. I think it's fairly self-explanatory....




13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I might want to move into House No. 1 (although possibly without thw gravestone).

Iota said...

In the true spirit of competition, I think I'm going to have to get out and about with my camera.

Dorset Dispatches said...

An exterior designer to sort out your Halloween displays? Clearly the UK has a long way to go to catch up with our cousins over the pond. I'm just pleased I've remembered it is on the horizon and have got some chocolate in in case anyone trick or treats!

Looking forward to seeing Iota's offering!

Jen Walshaw said...

More, more, more please adn Iota and would love to see your too

Nicky said...

It all looks so pretty, I can't see the UK decorating like that yet!

Calif Lorna said...

If Iota is heading off with her camera - then so am I. The competition is on! Plus I have over the top Californians, I'm bound to win!

Tanya (Bump2Basics) said...

I have to love my American Halloween decorations! Now that LLC is on the scene I told Chris we need to do some kind of display, though definitely nothing up to these standards!

I'm never usually home over here to answer the door for any possible trick-or-treaters but this year I'm planning to be so maybe my decorations might lure them in.....if not we'll just be eating extra candy (not a bad thing in our book)

nappy valley girl said...

Mud - I'm with you there...

Iota - You're on. I need to get better pics - there are more impressive displays than this (and tackier) but they are difficult to photograph.

Pants - the UK is lightyears behind this level of Halloween decor...

Madhouse - OK, I'll try!

Tawny - yes, some of it really is very attractive. I especially love all the pumpkins.

Lorna - Go for it! We can compare notes in a couple of weeks...

Tanya -I always used to buy sweets in London, but usually no-one would come, or they had come earlier when I was still at work. Good luck!

Metropolitan Mum said...

Wow. I guess the UK is still in baby shoes re Halloween decorations. I am trying to ignore the whole thing for as long as it gets - little L will soon enough remind me to go out for trick or treat with her...

Anonymous said...

Do you know, I actually wish we did more of this...x

Anonymous said...

I love the pumpkin snowman best. It is wonderful. I want one! It's the first one I've ever seen!

nappy valley girl said...

Met Mum - the most I ever remember seeing in London is a pumpkin in someone's window. We have a very, very long way to go..

Knackered Mother - Some of it is actually very pretty. I think outdoor decorations can actually be quite classy here, whereas in the UK they tend to be viewed as tacky...

Rosie - I know, brilliant isn't it? There's a massive inflatable pumpkin just down the street from us now - must take a picture...

nmaha said...

Wow! do people actually take decorating for festivals so seriously?

Fun to look at though.