Thursday 31 March 2011

The donkey's anatomy

I just knew he was going to say it. We're at a party, and the boys are playing Pin the Tail on the Donkey. It's a little girl's party, and there are many little girls there, all looking pink and pretty in princess dresses. Littleboy 1 is lining up behind several of them to take his turn.

The girl in front of him, blindfolded, pins the tail on - right between the donkey's legs.

My son turns to me, face shining excitedly and I know exactly what's coming - but there is no way to stop it. He announces loud and clear - "Mummy! That's not the Donkey's tail. That's the Penis." And, as if we hadn't all heard the first time, he then REPEATS it. (He learned the word recently, and has now decided he's going to use it, instead of the rather more innocuous Willy, at any available opportunity. After all my efforts to stop him talking about butts etc.........) Fortunately I don't really think the little girls around him really took this in. But one mother sitting nearby looked aghast. "Did he just really say that?" she asked. "Yes," answered my husband. "Well, at least he's anatomically correct."

And actually, I quite agree.......

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Half of the girls at the party have done similar things, I'm sure. They just had better timing this one time :)

Expat mum said...

My 7 y/o is doing the same thing with his new word - "testicles". Every time he falls down or bumps into something it's always the testicles that have been injured. Sigh.

Mwa said...

I don't get why anyone would be aghast. It's a little boy, and he knows a perfectly good word. Prissy mummies like that bug me. I think your husband gave quite the correct response.

Unknown said...

What is it with boys and willies, sorry penises....just read your previous post too. Long Beach vs. London Town? Beach wins.

Tanya (Bump2Basics) said...

Haha, good on Littleboy 1! I don't see why the woman should have been so shocked....her virgin ears will are in for a real shock in the coming years I fear. And good comeback NV Dad.

Nota Bene said...

Good lad!

nappy valley girl said...

Conuly - give them time!

ExpatMum - I'm glad it's not just me...

Mwa - glad you agree! Yes, very prissy.

Knackered Mother - it is their neverending obsession isn't it?

Tanya - Sigh. (I think she probably had a nice little girl who has never heard the word, but you're right, she will....)

NB - the male response!

Iota said...

So at his party, you'll be getting the kids to play Pin the Penis on the Donkey?

About Last Weekend said...

Well good on your husband. Yes here find some people very coy and prim about using the correct words. They would rather you use some sort of weird euphemism...I'm sure if he said that in UK all the parents would have laughed!

nappy valley girl said...

Iota - what a truly Fabulous idea. I think I'd go down in Long Island history with that one....

About Last Weekend - you're right, they would. I'm sure about half were lauging here (including my friend hosting the party) but there are definitely some shockable people around....

Paradise Lost In Translation said...

Ah, this is great! I love that held breath half moment when you see what's going to happen & are waitign for it & then it does - with kids. U can almost see their little brains whirring. Anyway I hope his dad was proud. I mean a dr's son shd know the correct anatomical terms shdn't he?;o)
And as for boys & their fixation with willies/penises I'd like to say they grow out of it, but who am I trying to kid? of course they don't. Ever.

geekymummy said...

Awesome! That would have caused great hilarity had it happened here. We are very into um, calling a spade a spade, so to speak, here in the bay area.

We may in fact take up Iota's suggestion and play "pin the penis on the donkey' at our next party. genius!

Metropolitan Mum said...

Hahahaha, Iota!!
Next Saturday, we'll be having little L's birthday party. Note to self: put all donkeys away.