Thursday 22 March 2012

Victoria Beckham and I

I was amused to read today that Victoria Beckham had been preparing sausage rolls and pork pies for her sons' 'International Food Day' in LA.

This is something I know only too well about. We've been to several of these events, where you are invited to bring in a food 'from your own country or culture'. And I've never managed anything at all impressive.

The first year, for a preschool end of year picnic, I turned up with a packet of Jaffa Cakes, thinking that would suffice well enough. Er, no. Japanese mothers arrived with plates of exquisite handmade sushi and sashimi; Indian mothers had made beautiful fragrant samosas and tandoori chicken with basmati rice. One American dad had even brought along a whole barbecue, and was cooking up hot dogs. (I'm glad to say that the only other British mother at the school, a friend of mine, had brought Marmite sandwiches - made that morning in haste, as she'd forgotten about it and happened to have Marmite in the house. Nobody ate them).

The second time, I brought in scones. These actually went down quite well (although I'm ashamed to say they weren't home-made. As I have mentioned previously, although I can cook fine, baking is not one of my skills in life). But again, I was shown up by the grander culinary efforts of those from other countries. The third time, I gave up trying to think of anything British and brought French cheeses and grapes.

So good on Posh Spice for making an effort. OK, I'm sure she didn't actually cook the sausage roles and pork pies from scratch, but at least she tried. It made me wonder how much else VB has in common with me as an British expat mum in the States. After all, she's about my age, has been here about the same length of time, and has one son exactly the same age as one of mine (Cruz, we were pregnant at the same time).

Does she struggle with her sons' homework, having to look up things about American presidents frantically on Wikipedia and wonder what Stop, Drop and Roll means? Does her face fall at the idea of Super Bowl parties (that's another kind of footballers' wife, love)? Is she still incredulous at the idea that each and every child in the class receives a Valentine from your child? Does she baffle other mothers by talking about fire engines and the lurgy? Does she still, after all this time, not really know what T-Ball is?

Or has she embraced all things American? Does she now go around saying 'awesome' and 'I'm good' instead of 'I'm fine'? (Note, I do the latter now, but not the former). Does she think summer camp is the best invention ever, and go around waving flags on Memorial Day (guilty on both charges, by the way)?

I'd love to compare notes.

11 comments:

Fourdownmumtogo said...

I had to do that here in the UK at Max's nursery. I made a Victoria sponge. Perhaps VB should try that?

Expat mum said...

I took one look at that photo and thought "There's no way she's made any of that". I didn't even know you could get pork pies here!
When we have these days, I just pull up outside World market and load up with Chocolate fingers, Curly Wurlies etc. Always winners!

Nota Bene said...

I've never seen you and VB in the same room...

Iota said...

I've done Cadbury's chocolate fingers (bound to be a hit). Oh - just read Expat Mum's comment. Great minds thinking alike.

Make sure you invite me round too, if you get VB to come. I'd love to join you.

farfromhomemama said...

When you meet her, can you please ask her how she manages to walk in such high heels and carry a small child at the same time. Very envious of that skill.

nappy valley girl said...

FDMTG - yes, that would have been very appropriate. I wonder if Posh can bake?

Expat Mum - I've never seen pork pies either but presumably she got them flown in on a private jet or something....

NB - I actually was in the same room as her once, at the Brit Awards many years ago. (But no-one saw us together...).

Iota - I wonder if she blogs?

nappy valley girl said...

Farfrom home - That is a very good question.....you're right, she is always pictured carrying her (sometimes quite large) children. I wonder if she has superstrong arms, or just picks them up when she sees the paparazzi approaching?

About Last Weekend said...

Same here! I used to make Pavlovas - a very Kiwi thing (though the bloody Australians reckon its theirs') and now I just get a bag of Maltesers from the English aisle at the local deli (last time I just got donuts and Cy made a card saying he was born next to a donut shop which is kind of true) My standards are melting melting melting...

Dorset Dispatches said...

We were having a conversation last night about whether Americans cook Spag Bol (as in the random British way for small children's tea rather than the proper Italian way). I made some Cottage Pie for some American friends the other day and their children looked at me in amazement.

Our American friends here are making me laugh - there are 2 families in Adam's class and the Mums both asked the teachers for class lists on Valentine's Day - and were as bemused by the British reaction to Valentine's Day as you were with the American.

Unknown said...

She said to say she loved your Jaffa cake idea ;)

Tanya (Bump2Basics) said...

I love that you turned up with Jaffas!