Thursday 20 June 2013

Goslings, graduation and growing up



When I was a student, my parents were living in a farmhouse in Suffolk which had a large pond. Every time I went home for the holidays, my mother would regale me with tales of the ducklings on the pond; how many babies there were; how many had survived; how big they were getting; how they had grown up, and so forth. I simply could not understand this obsession with the ducks. Yes, the ducklings were cute, but did I really need to hear about them in every single letter? When I came home, I wanted to talk about friends and parties and exam results - not the ducks.

Twenty years on and I think I understand. The baby goslings that waddled up my driveway last month have now lost their fluff and are middle sized geese, following their parents around on the pond the other day. It amazes me how fast they have grown, when human children take so long to develop and change. I found myself pointing out the goslings to the boys the other day when walking past the pond, and thought of my mother and her excitement about the ducks.

I think it is only when we have our own babies that we become so in tune with the cycle of life and nature. I always find this time of year quite emotional, because it's the end of another school year, and particularly this year as we are moving on. Tomorrow is the last day of school. There have been "graduations" all week of one kind and another; kindergarten, elementary school, middle school. Children are moving up and moving on.

Today, as the kids got on the bus, I think everyone at our stop felt a little melancholy. It's not only we who are leaving; another neighbour is moving to Florida and another's son is moving on to Middle School, so won't be on the bus in September. For those that remain, there will probably be a whole new crowd. My friend confessed that she felt quite misty-eyed as she put her 10 year old on the bus for the last time; it seemed like yesterday he was in kindergarten, she said.

For us, it's the end of an era. No more yellow school bus. In September, the Littleboys will be putting on school uniform for the first time and heading off to their new schools in London. No longer small and fluffy, but still my babies.




9 comments:

Was Living Down Under said...

This was really beautifully written - you've got me quite misty eyed myself! My little girl finishes grade 1 this week. She was just entering Kindergarten when we moved back. It's weird to think that we've been back almost half as long as we were away.

Enjoy the next few weeks as they fly by. And take a video of your boys talking. It took our kids about 6 weeks to lose their Aussie accents completely.

Jay said...

Beautifully written, I have one more year of primary school with my youngest then it's the end of an era for us, I've been standing in the playground of our tiny village school for nearly 17 years!
I guess they're always your babies though, whatever their age.

MsCaroline said...

It seems not long ago I was choking back tears at #1's kindergarten graduation, so it's beyond me how he'll be graduating from University in two short years, with his brother not far behind him. I suppose, having experienced the wonder of watching your own children change and grow before your eyes, you can never be quite so sanguine again about watching a miracle take place...
A lovely and bittersweet piece..maybe 'wistful' is the word. I know you'll be glad to get home, but it makes me happy to know that you've clearly enjoyed your time in the US and you've really become a part of your community - and they have become a little part of you. Enjoy these last few weeks and safe journey. x

Melissa said...

lovely, sad but beautiful post. Each passing milestone takes them a step further away from us - yet we have to let them do it. I know exactly how you must be feeling. Best of luck and enjoy your last bit of time in the US

Iota said...

I put my oldest fluffy gosling onto a train to go to London all on his own yesterday. That made me a bit misty eyed. He's going to be staying just a few streets away from where we lived when he was born. It's an odd feeling. How did that soft mewling bundle turn into a strapping young man, taller than me?

I agree about the cycle of nature, when you have children. I think it's to do with the school year. We should really start it in the spring, not the autumn!

Circles said...

Beautiful writing A - gave me goose bumps. I remember when we were talking about you moving to the US, like it was just a year ago. And now you have all these wonderful experiences under your belt. I agree, this time of year is really emotional - add an international move to the mix and I'd be a tearful puddle! See you very soon! Xox

Nota Bene said...

Very poignant...it is an end, but also a new beginning too

Vinogirl said...

Hope you enjoyed your time in the US.

About Last Weekend said...

Wow, it is the end of an era, what a huge change for you all. How fantastic that the boys have lived in a completely different place. My parents forever would talk about a small smelly dog they had and a very snooty cat. Now I have kids I understand - for them it was unconditional love and free of the hassle us four kids brought home with us!